At Maya Couture, we often find that tuxedos are the part of the equation that is left until the very last minute. While brides have their gowns, their maids have their dresses, and their flower girls have tulle coming out of their ears, the men's attire is left by the wayside. This is usually for one of two reasons:
1. "I told him he's in charge of tuxedos." Great! We love when men come in the store and they take charge of what they're going to wear on the most important day of their lives. 95% of the time, grooms are wonderful at picking out exactly what they want and trying to get their guys measured and paid in a timely manner. The downside is that oftentimes their groomsmen haven't been married and don't understand the urgency of getting measurements and payment out of the way in order to guarantee your tuxedo order.
2. Lack of knowledge. Whether it's not knowing the time needed to order and get a tuxedo in, the value of the product that you're renting, or what vest and tie will match, lack of knowledge can cause brides and grooms to shy away from picking out the men's attire for the wedding. Thus, the tuxedo blog is born.
There are a few key points to remember in choosing and ordering your tuxedos:
1. Please be aware that tuxedo/suit exchanges are often necessary. Because these are tuxedo rentals, they are not a custom fit. Tuxedos and suits have to go through a tailoring process just like bridal gowns and maids dresses, and we have a very small window to do all the alterations and exchanges within. You and your party should be prepared to come in more than once if adjustments and exchanges are necessary, and be patient with the process. This is to ensure you are properly fitted and look perfect for your special day.
2. Please understand that we are very limited in what alterations we can make to rental items. We can only let out or taken in jackets and pants if time permits. If time does not permit us to make alterations, we will order you a new item which will arrive the next day unless we call in the exchanges after 5:00pm - then there could be a 48-hour turnaround.
3. If anyone in your party lives out of state and is arriving the day before or the day of your event, it will be difficult to ensure that they are properly fitted. To make sure we have plenty of time for exchanges and to make it more convenient for your out-of-state groomsmen, we can ship their rental to them directly the week of the wedding at their request. Any exchanges can come to the store and be picked up by another member of the party or shipped to your wedding location. There is not an additional fee for this service.
4. In an ideal world, your groom, groomsmen, ushers, dads, ring-bearers and all the wonderful men in your life will have been measured and paid at least two months prior to the wedding so that we can ensure the accuracy of your full order.
Jim's Formal Wear, our tuxedo provider, offers a great service in their "Build a Tux" program on their website at www.jimsformalwear.com. Check it out with your fiancee, then make an appointment to come see one of our consultants to start the tuxedo process today!